My Stitch Along for October Week 3

Posted by Ruth on 18 October 2015 | 0 Comments

Tags:

My favorite part, cutting up my blocks after they have been stitched! Not really, my favorite part is stitching them, but cutting up is exciting as I am never quite sure how it will work out. A good thing is, these are only small blocks and not a full sized quilt. I'm not sure I would be so keen to chop one of those up!

I decided to use my Shape Cut Tool for cutting the strips so first I lay the two blocks on top of each other - exactly.layer blocks on top of each other evenly

And because I trimmed down to 10 1/2" blocks, I positioned the ruler in a quarter inch thus making the two outside strips 3/4".  The Shape Cut Tool makes it really easy to cut this up into 1" strips as I don't need to move it once positioned or disturb the blocks underneath, everything stays in place.lay the shape cut plus ruler on top of the blocks

Are you ready?cutting the blocks into 1 inch strips using the shapecut tool

Here we go, all cut up into 1" strips.witch block cut into 1 inch strips

And here is the cauldron block after I removed the strips from the witch block.cauldron block cut into 1 inch strips

I separated the two blocks alternating the strips to see how they looked. This is the effect I'll get if I applique them back together and of course, it is always good to audition the blocks first!cauldron block and witch block separated to make two blocks

Next I flipped the witch block upside down. Then I put all the strips in a row. This is what I will need to do if I piece them back together.cauldron block and witch block separated with one upside down

The reason we get two blocks with applique is that I don't need to lose seam allowances. A whole block is taken up with seams because of the narrow strips but they need to be this small so the actual image stays in proportion. By the time all the strips in the above photo are pieced back together, they will only be the size of one block.

I decided to applique mine. However, because I had not decided on this prior to cutting them up, I now had to carefully add fusible webbing to the back. It wasn't too difficult. I cut two 10 1/2" squares of fusible and lay it on the ironing board with the sticky side up, then carefully aligned the strips evenly on top. Using a Teflon sheet, I pressed the strips onto the fusible. I was then able to pick the block up as a whole again and of course, it needed to be cut again but first I took off the paper backing. It would have been much easier to put the fusible on before cutting the strips in the first place.

So with my strips fused in place on the batting, I decided I'd change my mind on the embellishing. I wanted something to couch over the raw edges and I found this glittery green flat cord that I thought was perfect for the job.green glittery cord auditioned for couching block

I used a wide zigzag and green thread as I needed to be sure to catch both raw edges. At times I did have to backtrack a little where I had missed, but with a little practice, I found it didn't take long at all and I as I went, I had less mishaps.couched strips closeup

Here is one of the finished blocks.green glittery cord couched strips together

I'm thinking the witch stands out much more than the cauldron block and I think that is because it is a two fabric block with very contrasting fabrics. Maybe just using the plain purple fabric for the alternating strips would have worked out better!

Post your comment

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments