Quilting Styles

Posted by Ruth on 28 June 2012 | 5 Comments


Can you name these four quilting styles and where you would use them? Which is the odd one out?

Four quilting styles

Let's hear your answers below in the comments. How about listing other styles of quilting too!

quilting classes available at the Academy of Quilting

Get this pattern FREE

Quilt Designers Blog Ring

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random


Post your comment


  • The first one is called Contour Quilting. You quilt 1/4" from the seam line. This can be done in various ways where you do not have to stop and start like shown in the sample above.

    Posted by Ruth, 02/07/2012 8:30am (9 years ago)

  • bottom left is echoing, then the 2 others already mentioned. upper corner left is..? no idea, but certainly not bad for hand quilting, I would not use it for machine quilting, to many times needle up, cut thread, needle down etc.... I am a lazy quilter..... :-)

    Posted by Judy, 28/06/2012 10:30am (9 years ago)

  • I know the bottom right is stipple and the top right is cross-hatch (think that is what it is called). Both are used to fill in background areas.

    Posted by Jane, 28/06/2012 9:14am (9 years ago)

  • Interesting..when I was little Gram Stoots made quilts..all by hand..and hers laid what I would call 'open' when you'd see them from the back. This makes sense!

    Posted by Joyce Camp, 28/06/2012 9:03am (9 years ago)

  • No I don't :(

    Posted by Joyce Camp, 28/06/2012 8:54am (9 years ago)

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments