My January Stitch Along Week 2
So this weekend I started building up my background at the same time as remembering those important words I needed to use... "list", "new", "neutral" and "blue". I have the two new words to add in as well, "dark" and "round". I'll bold the words as I go, to ensure I have them all covered.
To start out, I decided to make an actual list and applique that to a background. I began with a neutral colored fabric, a light beige and my new Shiva Paintstiks. I decided to go with the light brown paint - which could also be considered for our neutral word instead of the fabric! I colored just around the edge and used a clear blender to smudge the paint and drag it into the middle a little. I was trying to give the impression of an old piece of paper - I need to work on that still, but you get the idea.
I made a second one, using a dark brown. This time a little smaller in size. I added the odd line in the center as well - for no other reason than to just get a response to my "what if". Trust me, this is fun playing!
I now have two blank lists. Of course I need something on them to make them real lists so I got out my fabric markers (pigma pens) and decided to write the word "Lists".
I always do the same thing, never learning from my mistake.... in haste to get something written, I don't plan well enough where the actual word should be positioned nor how to form the letters. Aligned left is fine, but had I known what I was going to do next, I would have planned to center it. After writing over top of the word several times to darken it, I decided I didn't want to do a lot of writing and I'd probably have more fun stamping.
Stamping is something I have not done a lot of either and I had some old date stamps and an acid free ink pad which I was anxious to play with. The ink pad had multi colors - red, blue and purple. These are old by the way, in fact, the year only went to 1999 - antique! I just began stamping and I was surprised. This worked really well.
Okay, so they are not really lists any more, but so what. The main thing is that I'm having fun and I'm exploring. Honestly, I had so much fun that I'm considering buying some cool stamps now....
Once I felt I'd done enough stamping on the lists, without over cluttering them, I put fusible on the back ready to cut them out.
I wanted to give them a curvy edge so started cutting with the scissors, and low and behold, without knowing it, in rounding the corners, I used the word "round".
To finish these off, I wanted to darken the edges so I used the same paintstik colors to do just that.
Now to put my lists on a background. I've changed my mind and decided to go with a hand dyed blue/purple fabric which a friend gave me. I just love this fabric and if for no other reason I learned how to dye fabric, it would be learning to do so over white-on-white fabrics. I love the effect.
I haven't quite decided how to position my lists or how big to make this project, but I'm thinking it will look something like this. I'll make a final decision next week when I press them in place and begin stitching.
Let's recap on those six words:
- List - was what I was making and the word I wrote
- New - my paintstiks are new, using a date stamp on fabric was new for me too!
- Neutral - my fabric for the lists was neutral in color, so were the paints I used
- Blue - the ink was blue and so was the background fabric
- Dark - the dark brown paint used on one list, black pigma pen which is dark and I darkened the edges of my lists
- Round - the corners of my lists were round
I have them all covered!